Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Hal Con, The Gray Area, and lots of nerd love










It's been forever, but I am in fact, still alive. Still coming down from Hal con 2011 and getting ready to start counting down to 2012. I don't even know where to begin. I had a blast sitting at the ink'dwell comics table all weekend sketching and talking with everyone that stopped by. Jay and Heidi are definitely two of the best kind of people and I can't wait until we get to do it again next year. there was so much positive feedback for Infantasy and What The Wild Things Read. We got the chance to tell people for the first time about the project we're releasing in 2012 as well, but I'll get back to that.

It was a year of firsts for me all around. Had the chance to share said table in the artists alley, took part in a small panel for the launch of WTWTR, and even got to sign some books and posters... Surreal times heh.

I got to meet so many kick ass people over the course of two days. Matt LeDrew of Engen books, Josh Rodgers of Mushface comics, the crew from Kill Shakespeare (Connor, Anthony, and Andy), And Nick Bradshaw to name a few. Found myself outnumbered and being ganged up on by writers all weekend as well (Jay, Connor, and Matt I'm looking at you). A con highlight was having Andy Belanger flip through my sketchbook and offer criticism and advice. Much respect, that dude is good, like whole other level kinda good. Also, Nick Bradshaw was one of the most approachable, laid back people at the convention. I had no cash and nothing to sign, I just wanted to pick his brain and chat for a few minutes which he was more than happy to oblige.

The venue was huge and yet again the people managed fill every corner of the building, all while maintaining that same close knit, warm atmosphere that Hal con debuted with last year. The volunteer staff were great this year, and enough can't be said for the organizers and all the hard work everyone put in. It all sounds so cliche to type, but truth is truth. You guys rocked it!

I have make a point to mention this years Geeks versus Nerds show as well. Holy Hell guys, way to knock it out of the park, past the parking lot, and into the back of some homeless guys head 6 blocks away. One of the highest attended events of the convention, and I'm guessing one of the loudest as well. "Come out and meet your tribe?" Not anymore, the tribe seems to be turning into a nation.

Now then, about that new project. I've partnered up with Jay Paulin at ink'dwell comics again, this time to produce an ongoing series, "The Gray Area". It's super hero title, and despite jumping into a genre that is over saturated, kinda cliche, and damn near impossible to do anything new in that isn't totally ridiculous; I think we've managed hit on something very promising. Or at very least tapped into the right mix of elements to create a "capes" book with a refreshing feel. I'm going to leave all the specifics for Jay to dole out when an "Official" official announcement is made. If you stopped by the table last weekend and caught a glimpse of my sketchbook then you were most likely given the lowdown on things to come. I'm happy to say that reactions were positive all around, with a few people really getting into the idea and my reasoning behind it. Probably the best feeling I had all weekend was hearing some of the kind words and encouragement being given to ole nobody me and my little addition to the spandex club. Thank you everyone. For now though, we have the first images from said series. These are raw scans, untouched and ripped straight out of my poor, abused sketchbook.

Also...
"ZOINKS!"

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff, Nic. I finally remembered I can post on Blogspot using something other than my Google name (me dum) so I'm going to hit you up on here more often.

    Anyhow, great recap and I share your excitement for The Gray Area. We received loads of positive comments for the little we revealed. When we make the full announcement soon, with logo and finished characters, I expect similar feedback. You're killing the art so far, Nic. I'm just happy to be involved in the process!

    ReplyDelete